Cristiano Ronaldo won the 2016 Ballon d’Or award for the fourth time in his career beating his biggest rival Lionel Messi. The football journalists voted Ronaldo as the top player out of 30-man shortlist. 2016 was one of the best years for Ronaldo as he won Champions League title with Real Madrid and clinch his first major cup in international football when Portugal led by him won the Euro 2016 title. With this award, Real Madrid forward’s is just one Ballon d’Or behind Messi.
After winning the award, Ronaldo said, “It’s a really great honour to have won my fourth Ballon d’Or and I’m very happy and proud to be receiving this award and I want to thank everyone who works with me and my Real Madrid and Portugal teammates.”
Messi who was also the strong contender for the award finished the second while Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann finished third. Barcelona’s Luis Suarez and Neymar came in fourth and fifth followed by Gareth Bale who finished sixth.
2016 Ballon D’Or Award players list with ranking based on votes
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Portugal)
2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)
3. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid and France)
4. Luis Suarez (Barcelona and Uruguay)
5. Neymar (Barcelona and Brazil)
6. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid and Wales)
7. Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City and Algeria)
8. Jamie Vardy (Leicester City and England)
9. Pepe (Real Madrid and Portugal)
9. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus and Italy)
11. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Borussia Dortmund and Gabon)
12. Rui Patricio (Sporting Lisbon and Portugal)
13. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PSG and Sweden) (Now Manchester United)
14. Arturo Vidal (Bayern Munich and Chile)
14. Paul Pogba (Juventus and France) (Now Manchester United)
16. Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund and Poland)
17. Dimitri Payet (West Ham and France)
17. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid and Germany)
17. Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
Here we see who have most chances to win this award according to our Ballon d’Or 2016 predictions. The France football recently announced the 30 players names who has been shortlisted this 2016 title. The 2016 Ballon Dor award will be known by it’s orignal Ballon d’Or as FIFA has terminated their contract with them. The FIFA Ballon d’Or Award is the most prestigious individual Award in the World of Football. Moreover, It’s given to the Best Football Player for the annual year on the Basis of its overall performance (Goals+Assists).
Altogether, both clubs, as well as International records, are considered . Although, it’s always been Messi vs Ronaldo Battle to win this Glorious Award. However, Lionel Messi Leads the Ballon d’Or Award tally with 4 awards, Whereas Cristiano has 2 Ballon d’Or Award in his pocket. Ballon d’Od ceremony will take place in December 2016. Below is our predictions for the who will win Ballon d’Or 2016 award.
FIFA Ballon d’Or 2016 Predictions Who Will Win?
Besides Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, no other players have entered the top 2 FIFA Ballon d’Or Contender ever since its inception in 2010. However, the Argentinian magician has conquered everyone’s’ heart by winning a Hat-trick of FIFA Ballon d’Or s 2010, 2011 and 2013 respectively. Furthermore, Lionel Messi scored 26 La Liga Goals in the 2015-16 season with 16 assists Whereas, Ronaldo had 35 Goals that season. Here is the list of 30 shortlisted players for the Ballon D’or Award 2016.
Ballon d’Or 2016 Nominees
|NO.||DEFENDERS & KEEPRS||MIDFIELDERS||FORWARDS|
|1||Manuel Neuer (GK)||Arturo Vidal||Jamie Vardy|
|2||Rui Patricio (GK)||Paul Pogba||Luis Suarez|
|3||Gianluigi Buffon (GK)||Dimitri Payet||Sergio Aguero|
|4||Hugo Lloris (GK)||Luka Modric||Neymar|
|5||Sergio Ramos||Riyad Mahrez||Thomas Muller|
|6||Diego Godín||Toni Kroos||Lionel Messi|
|8||Andres Iniesta||Zlatan Ibrahimovic|
|9||Kevin De Bruyne||Gonzalo Higuain|
|10||Gareth Bale||Antoine Griezmann|
|11||Cristiano Ronaldo||Cristiano Ronaldo|
Ballon D’Or Award ( World’s most Prestigious Individual Award in the World of Football)
While the Ballon d’Or was known as the European Footballer of the Year award since 1956. It was awarded by the French publication ”France Football”. Furthermore, The FIFA World Player of the Year award which was presented by FIFA Officials since 1991 considered international performance only. Thereupon, these were the 2 most Prestigious individual Football Awards.
Before 2010 the Ballon d’Or and the FIFA World Player of the Year were 2 different awards. However, it merged up since 2010 officially by FIFA because, since 2005, the winners of the Ballon d’Or and FIFA World Player of the Year were one and the same. Henceforth, the Ballon d’ Award officially merged up with FIFA during the FIFA World Cup held in South Africa 2010 and now it’s known as the FIFA Ballon D’Or Award to the world.
How is ballon d’Or decided?
- The FIFA Ballon d’Or Winner is chosen by international Media Officials along with the National team captains as well as Coaches.
- This is a Lengthy voting process based on provisional voting, each voter is allowed to give three votes, each vote worth five points, three points and one point, and the three finalists are ordered based on overall points earned.
- While Each Voter is provided with a shortlist from which they can select the three players they deem to have performed the best in the previous calendar year.
Meanwhile, Not to underestimate the Goal Scoring Machine Cristiano Ronaldo. Although Cr7 won the FIFA Ballon d’Or in 2013 with 27.99 percentage of votes and 2014 as well with 37.66% vote. These two Gems of the Football World stands Ahead above all the Football Players in the world. Even in reality if no trophies are honoured to these legends they still are the Best Athletes of the world after all.
While the 2016 FIFA Ballon d’Or has a whole new Contender. Although this may be true that Luis Suarez was in the First Place as the top La Liga Goal Scores with 40 Goals and 16 Assist above Ronaldo 35 goals and Messi 26 Goals.